Monday, October 18, 2010

The Great Kitten Rescue

I had quite an adventure today.

This morning when I while I was walking to school, I saw a black cat dash across the road and a van had to slow down to avoid hitting it. As I walked a bit further, I started to hear a whining noise and so I looked next to a mailbox and there was a tiny black kitten hiding in the grass. I looked around at first and then glanced over to what I assumed was the mother cat on the other side of the street. Then, I bent down and made noises to persuade the kitten to come to me, and once it came out of the grass, I picked it up and planned to take it across the road to its mother, but when I stood back up, the cat on the other side of the road was gone. In the house directly across the street from me, there was a man standing in the window with a cat near him. I thought it might have been the mother cat, so I crossed the street and knocked on his door, but he said the kitten didn't belong to him.

I didn't want to be late for school, but I figured I didn't have much of a choice. It was too dark to search for the mother cat, so I turned around and started to walk back toward my house; luckily, my dad was driving by to drop my sister off at school and I handed the kitten off to him and asked him to go door-to-door and see if it belonged to anyone.

When I got home from school, I saw my dad on the ground with the kitten. He had called the vet and asked what we might need to do to care for the kitten since it looked too young to be away from its mother. They told him to buy some kitten formula and a bottle to feed it with, which is what he was doing when I walked over to him. I played around with the kitten for a bit and tried to feed him, but I had to work so I wouldn't be able to take the kitten door-to-door until I got back home. Before I left, though, I took some pictures.




When I got back from work, I filled a little box with some towels and my sister and I went down the road to where I discovered the kitten. First, we went to the mailbox where I found that cat and walked up to the door of the house. I knocked and stood there for a while, but no one answered. We walked down the road to the next house, and I walked up onto the porch. Before I could even reach the door, a woman opened it and her family was standing in the doorway. "Ohhhhh, you found it," she said as she walked up to me. I handed the cat to her and she said "Just the one? There is another white one that has gone missing as well." I told her where I never saw a white kitten and I showed her where I found it, and then my sister and I walked home.



Perhaps I'll have to go rescue its white sibling as well. I could be a super hero or something.

-ec.wolf